Since I became county coordinator in October 2007, one of the first projects I undertook was to redesign the site. Along with that, I decided to use Google Analytics for capturing statistics. So far, so good and I love the information that I get for the use of the site. I’d like to share some of that information.
From November 1, 2007 – February 29 2008
- There have been more than 10,000 visits from about 7500 visitors
- more than 67,000 page views
- those who come to the site spend on average about 5 minutes
- 47% of the traffic to the site comes from search engines and 35% is direct traffic (meaning, the address was typed in directly)
- The most popular part of the site are the cemetery listings with more than 5200 views. The marriage, newspaper, and query pages come in after that with about 3,000 page views each
- Visitors from more than 29 countries!
Not surprisingly, Tennessee users are the most frequent bunch – more than 3600 visits from Tennessee. New York comes in next with 776 visits, Texas with 643, California with 569. There has been at least one visit from every US state.
Internationally, the site has seen visits from Brazil, China, Australia, Norway, Finland, Spain, France, Turkey, Iraq, India, Thailand, the Philippines, Peru, Chile, Canada, Japan, Afghanistan, Germany and others.
Wow. Genealogists are everywhere aren’t we? 🙂
I also use Google Search on the site and while I don’t have it set up to generate reports from that, one day I plan to do so. I think it would be interesting to see what people are searching for.