World Vital Records recenlty added the full text of The History of Watauga County by John Preston Arthur. All databases they add are free for 10 days, so at the time of this writing, it looks like it wil be available freely for another 6 days.
Just doing some searches, I ran across a tidbit that a woman named Nancy Dougherty died in Blount County in 1913. Page 318 gives a biographical sketch of her parents and siblings. Nancy was the daughter of Ransom Hayes of Watauga County who died in 1868. Ransom was married to Sallie Green (daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Shearer). Their children were:
- Joseph (d. 1911) – married Eliza Hodges.
- Elizabeth (d. 1875) – married Thomas Storie
- Robert – married Rebecca Hately
- John – married Eliza Cook
- William – married Clorinda Brown
- Thomas – never married
- Nancy – married Harvey Dougherty of Johnson County, TN.
- Sarah – married W.L. Bryan
- George – married Emily Hodges, then married Louisa Bumgarner
- Ransom – died in 1910.
- Richard – married Delphia Hayes
More details about the family are provided in the sketch. I posted this here because I did not find Nancy listed in the Blount County Records Database – who knows who may be looking for her one day? 🙂 If you miss the free access period, you can do limited searching of the book via Google Books. See something you want to read more about? Look it up at a library near you or order the pages using your local library’s interlibrary loan program.