Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘George’

Charles T. Cates, Sr. One of the old members of the bar of east Tennessee, Colonel Cates lacks only two years of having completed a half century as a lawyer.  He has had a varied and useful life, and has been a soldier, lawyer, legislator, and otherwise identified with the public life of this home of Maryville and east Tennessee.

Charles T. Cates was born in Maryville, Tennessee, January 8, 1840 and was one of the family of eight children born to Rueben L. and Amanda (Wilkinson) Cates.  The father was a nativ of North Carolina, and died in 1866, having been a saddler by trade during his early life.  Mr. Cates received his early educational advantages in the public schools of his native county, and it is noteworthy that he is one of the living alumni of old Maryville College, as that institution existed in antebellum days.  He was graduated from the college with the class of July, 1857.   Soon afterward he took up the study of law under the well known attorney,  Jesse G. Wallace, but the war came on to interrupt his studies.  He enlisted on September 1 in Company G of the battalion of calvary commanded by George D. McClellan. In 1862 he was promoted first lieutenant of Company G, then a part of the First Tennessee Calvary, commanded by Col. I.E. Carter. His service in the army continued until 1865, and the close of the war found him on parole.  He at once resumed his law studies and was admitted to the bar in 1865, and was admitted to practice in all the local courts in 1866.  Since that time he has been in active practice and one of the leaders of the Blount county bar.  He was appointed attorney general during the administration of Governor Brown in 1875, and served one term in the state legislature of 1875.

Mr. Cates was married February 24, 1862, to Miss Martha V. Kidd, a daughter of William Kidd of Maryville, Tennessee.  Their four children, now all established in life in home of their own, are: C.T. Cates, Jr., Mrs. Lula C. Knabe, wife of W.A. Knabe of Knoxville, Tennessee; and Mrs. M.J. George, widow of S.L. George, deceased.

The family all worship in the Methodist church South.  Mr. Cates is a director in the Maryville bank, and is affiliated with the Masonic order.  He is a grandson on his mother’s side of John Wilkinson, who was one of the early attorney generals of Tennessee, and who died in 1829.

Source: Hale, Will T., and Dixon Lanier Merritt. A History of Tennessee and Tennesseans; The Leaders and Representative Men in Commerce, Industry and Modern Activities. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co, 1913.

Read Full Post »

Dr. James Edward George is actively engaged in the practice of medicine in Rockwood, where he also has a drug store. A native of Blount county, his birth occurred on the 21st of February, 1856, a son of Edward George and Mary Jane (Thompson) George. The paternal grandparents were Samuel and Barbara George of Tennessee, while the maternal grandparents were James and Martha Thompson. Edward George was born in 1806 and engaged in farming for many years. He retired some time previous to his demise, which occurred in 1872. Mrs. George was born in 1820 and died in 1892.

Upon attaining school age James Edward George attended the public schools of his native county and after graduation from high school enrolled in the Emory and Henry College at Emory, Virginia. In early life he decided to enter the medical profession and upon the completion of his literary education he began to read medicine. He read for two years and then entered the Old University and Vanderbilt, from which latter institution he transferred to Bellevue Hospital in New York, receiving his M. D. degree therefrom in 1883. In 1918, he took postgraduate work in the Polyclinic there. In 1881 he located in Rockwood, where he has since practiced, having built up an extensive and lucrative patronage. He holds to the highest of professional ethics and occupies a place among the most representative medical men of the county and state. Aside from his practice Dr. George owns and operates a drug store and has extensive farm interests.

In Roane county, on the 14th of December, 1896, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. George to Miss Jannie Burnett, a daughter of James and Katherine Burnett, natives of this state. Mrs. George is a woman of much culture and refinement and she is prominent socially.

In his political views Dr. George is a stanch republican and has participated actively in party affairs. He was elected mayor of Rockwood three different times and during his administrations, which were progressive and businesslike, he inaugurated and brought to completion many movements for the development of the community. He has served on the board of aldermen, has been a member of the local school board for years, and has been a member of the pension board of Roane county for thirty-five years. He is essentially public-spirited and is a forceful and energetic promoter of the city’s advancement. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and fraternally is identified with the Knights of Pythias, in which lodge he has held all chairs, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Along strictly professional lines he is connected with the American, Southern, State and County Medical Societies, and he belongs to the State Retail Druggists. In every undertaking Dr. George has been successful and is highly esteemed for his integrity and sterling worth.

Source:  Moore, John Trotwood, and Austin P. Foster. Tennessee, the Volunteer State, 1769-1923. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co, 1923.

Read Full Post »

On this day in 1877, Perry George married Margaret Cooper in Blount County TN.  Houston Henry paid the securities and bond issued 26 Dec 1877. Marriage performed by J.C. Gillespie, Justice of the Peace.

george_bryant_marriage

Marriage Record: Perry George & Margaret Cooper. Digital image. Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002. Ancestry.com. 16 Nov. 2008 <tennessee state marriages, 1780-2002>.

Read Full Post »