18 Oct 1906
Saturday morning an event was consummated for which the public has been on the <…> many days. Mr. James A. Goddard, the popular assistant cashier of the Bank of Maryville and Mrs. Ella DeArmond repaired to the home of Dr. Samuel T. Wilson and were made husband and wife. After the ceremony, they boarded the train for Knoxville from which point they went to Greenville to attend the Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in session at that place. The happy couple retured to Maryville Monday evening and went at once to their beautiful hom in South Maryville, where they were greeted by the immediate of their families. An old-fashioned serenade enlivened the early hours of the night as a noisy expression of the good wishes of their friends. May a life, rich in contentment, cheer the days to come and be led gently down the vista of the years is he wish of the Enterprise.
Read Full Post »
Posted in News, Newspaper Extract, Uncategorized, tagged Akers, Black, Boyatt, Byrne, Connor, Cowden, Crawford, Crow, Dillon, Dodson, Elmore, Goddard, Grant, Green, Griffits, Harper, Hedge, Heiskell, Jackson, Lane, Letsinger Baker, Lewis, Lloyd, Maloney, Mays, McDaniels, Miller, Odell, Pearson, Piper, Register, Reneau, Riddle, Ross, Rule, Smelcer, Smith, Taylor, Towle, Young on March 25, 2009|
Leave a Comment »
From the Maryville Enterprise – December 3, 1942
- Mary Blount Chapter of the Eastern Star will entertain Dorothy H. Connor, Grand Worthy Matron of Tennessee, with a pot luck supper at the Masonic Temple on July 17th at 6:30 pm. The supper will be followed by initiation work at 8pm. All chapters are invited.
- Mr. and Mrs. Olin Dodson of Stillwater, Okla., announce the birth of a son on July 8. Mrs. Dodson was the former Barbara Tot Goddard.
- Mrs. W.W. Elmore is in Doctors Hospital where she underwent a serious operation.
- Mrs. Hubert Cowden of Pruden, Tennessee, has been visiting her sister, Mrs. R.O. Smith.
- Mrs. Ralph Piper is confined to her home with illness.
- Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Black are visiting Mrs. Black’s mother, Mrs. Green in <…>, and Mrs. Black’s daughter, Mr. John C. Carr and family.
- Miss June Akers is visiting in Pittsburgh, New York, and Washington D.C.
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Byrne of Louisville, Ky. spent the weekend with relatives here.
- Mr. and Mrs. L.T. Letsinger and two sons are spending their vacation in Norfolk, Va.
- Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Baker and daughter, Patsey of Damarest, New Jersey, are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. H.L. Miller and Mr. and Mrs. <…>
- Mrs. Vernon Lloyd and little daughter, Gayle, of New Haven, Conn., are the guests of Dr. and Mrs. R.W. Lloyd.
- Mr. Dan Mays of California, Mr. and Mrs. John Mays of Toledo have been visiting their brother, Sheriff and Mrs. Ben Mays. John Mays and Dan Mays hadn’t seen each other in twenty-five years.
- Mrs. Justin Smelcer is very ill at her home on Ellis Ave.
- Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Taylor of Los Angeles, Calif., are visiting Dr. Taylor’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Taylor.
- Mr. and Mrs. Hobart Goddard celebrated their birthdays on July 3rd. They were born on the same day, and are the same age.
- Miss Marinell Ross went by plane to Whitesville, N. Car. for a visit with Miss Katherine Powell.
- Mr. A.N. Jackson of California is visiting relatives and friends here.
- Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Crow spent the weekend with relatives in Alabama
- Mr. and Mrs. Edward Pearson returned last week from a trip in Myrtle Beach.
- Miss June Lane had as her weekend guests, Miss Mary Dillon and Miss Dorothy Hedge of Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Mr. and Mrs. Harry McDaniels are spending their vacation at Myrtle Beach.
- Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Register had as their weekend guests, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Register, Mrs. A.J. Grant and children of Nashville
- Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Lewis (Miss Jackie Odell) are the parents of a little daughter born at Doctors’ Hospital, July 5. The baby has been named Cecilia Carolyn. This is the first grandchild of Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Odell.
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Rule and two children Jean and Robert Jr., Mr. and Mrs. James Rule and family of Nashville, are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Rule.
- Mrs. L.M. Ross and Miss Marie Griffits are in Cincinnatti this week attending the convention of <…> Educational Association <…>.
- Mr. and Mrs. Claude W. Best have returned from their wedding trip, and are at home on Highland Avenue, in the apartment occupied by Mrs. Mary Ellen Boyatt
- Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Maloney of Telford, spent the weekend with Mrs. Maloney’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Smith.
- Mr. and Mrs. Clifton Overton spent the weekend in Newport.
- Dr. Sam Crawford is visiting his parents, Dr. and Mrs. S.E. Crawford. He plans to leave soon for Japan.
- Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Riddle and daughter, Miss Lorene Riddle have returned from a vacation in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Mrs. Victor Reneau is visiting her husband, who has been transferred to Davenport, Iowa.
- Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Young, Miss Delores Young, and Kenneth Young are on a trip to Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Canada.
- Mr. and Mrs. James Heiskell and children, have returned to their home in Indianapolis, Ind. after a visit with Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Waggoner, parents of Mrs. Heiskell.
- Mr. and Mrs. John D. Harper and children, and Mr. and Mrs. Towle of Knoxville are spending two weeks at Caroline Beach.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Query, tagged Goddard, McGhee, Rambo on December 5, 2008|
Leave a Comment »
Phillip is seeking information about descendants of Dr. Alexander McGhee.
From his post to the Blount County BBS:
I am attempting to research the family of my third great grandmother. I believe her to be a grand-daughter of Dr. Alexander McGhee who lived in Blount County in the early part of the 19th century. I have found an article from April 1930 by WE Parham from the “Maryville Enterprise” which states that “Mrs. James A Goddard and Mrs. Anna McGhee Rambo” are grand-daugthers of Dr. Alexander McGhee. Does anyone know if the families of Mrs. Goddard and Mrs. Rambo are still in the Maryville area? I am in hopes they may be able to help me progress with my research into Dr. Alexander McGhee’s family.
If you have any information to share with Phillip, he may be contacted at email@example.com.
Read Full Post »