Dr. James Edward George is actively engaged in the practice of medicine in Rockwood, where he also has a drug store. A native of Blount county, his birth occurred on the 21st of February, 1856, a son of Edward George and Mary Jane (Thompson) George. The paternal grandparents were Samuel and Barbara George of Tennessee, while the maternal grandparents were James and Martha Thompson. Edward George was born in 1806 and engaged in farming for many years. He retired some time previous to his demise, which occurred in 1872. Mrs. George was born in 1820 and died in 1892.
Upon attaining school age James Edward George attended the public schools of his native county and after graduation from high school enrolled in the Emory and Henry College at Emory, Virginia. In early life he decided to enter the medical profession and upon the completion of his literary education he began to read medicine. He read for two years and then entered the Old University and Vanderbilt, from which latter institution he transferred to Bellevue Hospital in New York, receiving his M. D. degree therefrom in 1883. In 1918, he took postgraduate work in the Polyclinic there. In 1881 he located in Rockwood, where he has since practiced, having built up an extensive and lucrative patronage. He holds to the highest of professional ethics and occupies a place among the most representative medical men of the county and state. Aside from his practice Dr. George owns and operates a drug store and has extensive farm interests.
In Roane county, on the 14th of December, 1896, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. George to Miss Jannie Burnett, a daughter of James and Katherine Burnett, natives of this state. Mrs. George is a woman of much culture and refinement and she is prominent socially.
In his political views Dr. George is a stanch republican and has participated actively in party affairs. He was elected mayor of Rockwood three different times and during his administrations, which were progressive and businesslike, he inaugurated and brought to completion many movements for the development of the community. He has served on the board of aldermen, has been a member of the local school board for years, and has been a member of the pension board of Roane county for thirty-five years. He is essentially public-spirited and is a forceful and energetic promoter of the city’s advancement. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and fraternally is identified with the Knights of Pythias, in which lodge he has held all chairs, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Along strictly professional lines he is connected with the American, Southern, State and County Medical Societies, and he belongs to the State Retail Druggists. In every undertaking Dr. George has been successful and is highly esteemed for his integrity and sterling worth.
Source: Moore, John Trotwood, and Austin P. Foster. Tennessee, the Volunteer State, 1769-1923. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co, 1923.